ReFS (Resilient File System, originally codenamed Protogon) is a new file system initially intended for file servers that improves on NTFS in Windows Server 2012. The project originally started out as Monolithic NTFS (MNTFS) and then ended up codenamed Protogon before the final ReFS naming was chosen.
Microsoft claims ReFS has been built from the ground up, to meet the demands of the storage requirements needed by Windows users. It offers the ability to handle large storage volumes (maximum volume size of 1 Yobibyte), shared storage pools across multiple machines and enhanced resiliency to corruption.
Surendra Verma, the development manager for the Storage and File System team wrote:
“ReFS inherits the features and semantics from NTFS including BitLocker encryption, access-control lists for security, USN journal, change notifications, symbolic links, junction points, mount points, reparse points, volume snapshots, file IDs, and oplocks.”
Windows 8 client will be able to access and read ReFS volumes until it’s fully supported in client operating systems in the future, but now:
- You can not convert data between NTFS and ReFS
- You can not boot from ReFS in Windows Server 8
- ReFS can not be used on removable media or drives
- The NTFS features not supported in ReFS are: named streams, object IDs, short names, compression, file level encryption (EFS), user data transactions, sparse, hard-links, extended attributes, and quotas.
To learn more about ReFS file system, click here.
ReFS vs NTFS Benchmark
CPU: Intel Corel 2 Duo E8400 @ 4.1GHz
Memory: 4GB Dual DDR2 PC2-9600 1200MHz
HDD 1: Samsung HD753LJ 750GB
HDD 2: Western Digital WD2500BEVS-60UST0 250GB
Operating System: Windows 8 Release Preview (build 8400) 64-bit
Windows 8 ReFS Activation
Microsoft’s new file system will only be officially available in Windows Server 2012, but now you can activate it and use in Windows 8 Consumer Preview (build 8250) and Release Preview (build 8400) 64-bit.
The author is not responsible for any damages this mod may cause to your system and for any data loss due to using the ReFS file system.
ReFS Activator for Windows 8 (new): click here!
Manual Activation (old):
- Run System Information and check your Windows 8 version
- Use this mod only for Windows 8 build 9200, 8400 or 8250
- Download ReFS Driver for Windows 8 RTM (build 9200)
Download ReFS Driver for Windows 8 RP (build 8400)
Download ReFS Driver for Windows 8 CP (build 8250)
- Unpack ReFS-9200.zip, ReFS-8400.zip or ReFS-8250.zip archive
- Copy uReFS.dll to C:\Windows\System32\uReFS.dll
- Copy refs.sys to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\refs.sys
- Import (double-click) the attached registry file ReFS.reg
- Restart your computer
Please register on my website and if you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment!
Author: Marcin Grygiel aka Marcin-prv